The advancement and empowerment of Latinos/as in higher education is an important part of the mission of the NASPA Latino Knowledge Community. Through Blogging La Voz, we provide you resources and updates, in addition to what we provide through the newsletter. From this, we hope you will continue the dialogue that we believe to be important to the continued progress of our community.

Friday, February 24, 2012

Journey to the PhD with Trace Camacho: The Application Process

Written By: Trace Camacho

Michigan State University

Hello everyone, It’s been a while since my last post. I underestimated the amount of time and energy getting my graduate school applications together would take. I am happy that I had the holidays that followed admissions deadlines that gave me a chance to breath and decompress. Preparing and submitting those applications was definitely a process. One that you don’t have to go through alone.

I have often heard from my friends and colleagues that pursuing a Ph.D. is an isolating experience. It makes make you dig deep to find out what you are made of. As one friend said, “it’s basically academic hazing”. That being said, apply to a Ph.D. program does not have to be a isolating process and nor should it be.

During my application process I talked to anybody and everybody that would listen. This started when I was first looking at programs. I think I spoke to both Michelle and Juan, our current co-chairs, as well as numerous other members of the LKC and mentors in the field. I asked about programs I should look at, about their experiences in different programs, and how eventually I decided on which program to attend.

It didn’t stop there: These individuals became very helpful as resources when I wrote my personal statement. Some shared their own personal statements with me to give idea of where to start. Others coached me on things I may want to include in my personal statement. While others read through numerous drafts of my personal statements assisting me in putting my best foot forward in my applications.

While I could have gone through this process in complete isolation, I would have been doing myself a severe disadvantage by not taking advantage of the resources available to me. By reaching out for advice and assistance, I was able to craft the best application possible and showcase myself in the best possible way to admissions committees. There are many individuals both within and outside of the LKC that are more than willing to help you with your application process whether that be master’s or Ph.D. All you have to do is ask.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thus, it is to the entrepreneurs advantage to be located in the area.. [url=http://www.mulberryhandbagssale.co.uk]Mulberry ooutlet sale[/url] (Or professions, as I now have three separate jobs!). [url=http://www.goosecoatsale.ca]canada goose[/url] Pqbiuqwkh
http://www.pandorajewelryvip.co.uk Rbizhucrd [url=http://www.officialcanadagooseparkae.com]canada goose toronto factory[/url] ujguqelzy